Veggie Polenta Pie
Quite frankly, I'm excited. Stuff salads and birthday cake, I want pie! In abun
There's really not much of a thought process behind this one. I just sort of slung it all together and hoped for the best. It doesn't actually need it, but it would be bloody lush in a pool of gravy.
It was nice to be able to finally put away my vintage casserole dishes after a kitchen clear out, but even better immediately getting one out again and filling it full of mega stodge. This really isn't like me, but I may have made a little bit too much...
I actually had one portion and then stopped eating. It's a Septembmas miracle!
Anyway. Here, have pie.
Veggie Polenta Pie
4-5 cups water
1 onion, sliced
1 stick celery, sliced
4 garlic cloves, sliced
1/2 yellow pepper, diced
1/2 fennel bulb, sliced
1 leek, sliced
5 mushrooms, sliced
1 courgette, halved lengthways and sliced
2 handfuls of spinach, chopped
1 tsp dried thyme
1 tsp dried rosemary
1 tsp chilli flakes
1 vegetable stock cube/jelly
- Preheat your oven to gas mark 6 or equivalent.
- In a big boy saucepan, much bigger than the one I anticipated I would need, heat some olive oil over a gentle heat.
- Sling in your onion, garlic, leek, pepper, celery and fennel and soften slowly.
- Once soft, lob in the thyme, rosemary and chilli, stir to mix and season with salt & pepper.
- Stir in your stock cube or jelly. Add the polenta and the water and stir to combine. Bring gently to a simmer. As Jamie O puts it, it should be gently blipping away.
- Simmer for 5 minutes or so, add the courgette, mushroom and spinach, stir to mix thoroughly and empty into large- far larger than I expected- greased casserole dish.
- Smooth the top down and I recommend adding some nice fork scores on the top, just like grandma used to do with her shepherd's pie, then you will get the best crispy bits.
- Pop the pie in the oven and cook for 30 minutes until the top has gone all crispy and niiiiice.