Not too long ago, if you'd handed me a whole carrot in a wrap I would have told you to piss off. To be fair, I very nearly slung the whole thing in a bin after I made it myself. You're just going to have to trust me here, that even though this is very much, definitely a carrot styled to be eaten in place of a sausage it does actually taste bloody good. I've willingly eaten 2 in the past 24 hours, so it's definitely tasty. I'm not going to pretend that anyone eating this will be fooled into thinking they're actually eating a hot dog because they won't. Well, unless they've never had any contact with a hot dog before, but they do hit all the right flavour notes to satisfy any hot dog style cravings in a healthy and cruelty free way!
So, I rather reluctantly present to you my version of carrot dogs. I hate myself for making them, and even more for actually liking them. But I utterly despise myself for forgetting to pick up carrots at the greengrocer earlier, so now I can't make more. Actually genuinely addicted to rabbit food - when do I get my vegan promotion?
Ah, stuff it. The more I try and convince you of its worthiness, the less you'll believe me. Just try it. What do you have to lose?! Other than faith in everything you ever believed in.
Ah, it'll be fine.
makes 66 carrots, peeled with edges rounded
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/4 tsp mustard powder
1 tsp smoked paprika
1 tsp oregano
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp pepper
1/2 tsp liquid smoke
2 tbsp liquid aminos
1/4 cup of cider vinegar
1/4 cup vegetable stock
- Bring a pan of water to the boil and simmer your carrots for about 10 minutes, or until just fork tender. Cool in a bowl of cold water.
- Mix all other ingredients together in a sealable, leakproof bag or tupperware and pop your carrots in, shaking to coat. Leave for at least a couple of hours, preferably overnight. Giving an occasional shake up.
- When you want to eat them, heat up a grill or griddle pan and cook for a couple of minutes on each side until they darken and warm through.
- Serve in a hot dog bun or wrap.
- Bite it.
- Be confused that it feels like a carrot but tastes...better!
- Tasty isn't it?
- Weird though.
- But definitely tasty!
- Chastise yourself for making a meal based around a whole carrot.
- And liking it.
- What has my life become?!