Fish Poached In Summer Soup Topped With Chilli Potato Skin Crisps
Cheap & Easy
What more could you want?!
So, as far as soups go this one ticks all of the right boxes. Seriously. All of them. It's by no means a strict list of ingredients, and any seasonal veggies you happen to have laying about can be thrown in for your slurping pleasure. If you leave the fish out, this recipe is fine for veggies and even vegans. Vegetable soup is notoriously low in calories, high in goodness, full of flavour and is so easy it's just unfair to all other recipes.It even makes the boring iceberg lettuce yummers.The potato skin crisps add a crunchy, spicy dimension of joy and also make the whole dish look pretty whilst using that what most would throw away. Just ensure you scrub the skins first, no one likes to eat dirt. These can be excluded or the oil used reduced if you want to make this for a 5:2 recipe.
1/2 onion, diced
1 potato, peel reserved
1/2 iceberg lettuce
1 handful of beetroot tops or chard
2 garlic cloves
3 pints of water
salt & pepper
juice and rind of 1/2 lemon
White fish of your choice, I used plaice (optional)
For the crisps:
olive oil, I used my homemade rosemary oil
- Pre-heat oven to high, gas mark 9 or equivalent, and finely chop or slice all of your veggies.
- Mix the potato skins in the oil, salt, pepper and chilli flakes. Lay out flat on a baking tray, making sure they don't overlap and pop them in the oven for 10 minutes until crispy.
- In a large saucepan, heat a little olive oil and soften the onion and leeks. Once slightly soft, add the garlic until also soft.
- Once softy status has been achieved, add in the radish, cauliflower and potato and cover with around 3 pints of water. Season with salt, pepper, lemon pepper and a sprinkling of celery salt. Bring to the boil and then simmer gently for around 30 minutes.
- Add in the shredded lettuce and beetroot tops and simmer for another 10 minutes or so.
- Once the soup has reached desired summer brothy goodness, pop your fish fillet into the bubbling pot and simmer for 5 minutes.
- Carefully remove your poached fish fillet, stir in the juice of half a lemon to the soup and ladle over the fish fillet. Top with a few potato skin crisps and some finely grated lemon rind.
- Delve in!